Items in your iPoint database can be imported in a number of ways.
- Manually enter your items directly into the Items module
- Exporting your item list into a .csv file and sending it to iPoint Support to import
- Importing items using the Portal Integration
- Pulling your items directly from QuickBooks.
You have a couple of options when synchronizing items into iPoint.
Push all Items as Non-Inventory: Checking this box will send all items to QuickBooks as non-inventory items. Using this method will allow you to track inventory quantities in iPoint, but does not track the asset value of your inventory on your financial balance sheet. All items in QuickBooks will appear as non-inventory regardless of how they are set in iPoint. Keeping this check box clear will push your items’ inventory type to QuickBooks based on the item’s individual settings. Note that this checkbox has financial reporting implications. We recommend you discuss these options with your CPA, accounting adviser, or tax professional.
Push iPoint Manufacturer part Number as QB Item Name: iPoint utilizes two part numbers for every item; a) the Item Name is printed on customer-facing documents, b) The Manufacturer Part Number is presented on Purchase Orders and vendor facing documents. In many cases, these two numbers are the same. But many companies choose to create user-friendly part numbers for their customers while relying on the manufacturers specific part number for purchasing. This checkbox allows you to determine which part number you will push to QuickBooks. Left clear, QuickBooks will receive the Part Number. If checked, QuickBooks will receive the Manufacturer Part Number.
Sync Items Button – if you are importing your items directly from QuickBooks, this is the process you will choose. The details of this button are listed below.
Push to QB Button – this button will cause the list of items entered into iPoint to be pushed directly into QuickBooks. This is typically used if you are setting up a new instance of QB and need to populate the QB database.
Item List – the list of parts here displays parts in iPoint but not yet synced to QB. You can scroll through the list to see various part numbers that are new to iPoint and need to be synced. Clicking on a part number will open the item details window.
Synchronizing Items to QuickBooks (the blue button)
- Make sure that your items list in QuickBooks is accurate. Old items you do not want to import should be marked as inactive in QB.
- With QB still open, open iPoint and click the blue Sync Items button.
- If you have previously imported items from QB, you will get a pop-up window asking if you want to update your Items list. You can choose Yes, to reimport your items, or No, to review the previous import from QB.
- If you have not yet imported your items list, you’ll be prompted to continue the sync (by pressing OK) or abort the sync (by pressing Cancel).
- The Item sync process might take awhile, depending on how many items you are importing.
- Note: FileMaker may display a “Server Not Responding” notification. Do not panic. Things are happening behind the scenes and you will be directed to the list when the process is complete.
Once the import sync has completed, you will be taken to a QuickBooks Inventory Items Sync page. This is a temporary holding area where you will select the items you want to pull into your permanent iPoint database.
Go through the list of items and choose those you want to import by placing a checkmark in the Select column. If an item is already imported into iPoint, you will see the corresponding iPoint Item Name along with a green checkmark indicating that the synchronization between QB and iPoint is complete.
Should the item on your import list already exist in iPoint, you can manually link the two by choosing the appropriate iPoint item in the corresponding iPoint Item Name drop-down list.
You can search for a specific item using the wildcard search box at the top of the screen. Alternately, you can perform a quick filter of the list by clicking one of the three buttons:
- Limit to not Synced – this will change the list to only display items that have not yet been synced to QuickBooks. This is useful for quickly finding those items that have not yet been synced among a large list of items that have previously been synced.
- Show All – if you have filtered your list using either the search box or limited, this will restore the entire list to full display.
- Omit Archived – just like it sounds, this button will hide items that have been marked as archived in iPoint.
Finally, at the bottom of the QuickBooks Inventory Items Sync page you have four options on how to deal with your data:
- Select All Items – surprise, this will place a checkmark in the Select box on every item displayed.
- De-Select All Items – and this button will remove the checkmark in ever Select box on all items displayed.
- Import Selected Items from QuickBooks – clicking this button will take all of the items that have been selected and enter them into the permanent iPoint Items database.
- Update Selected Items from QuickBooks – will update pricing, descriptions, and other item details from the QuickBooks list for all items that have been selected. Note that this is typically done if changes have been made in QB rather than in iPoint. We strongly recommend that all items be adjusted in iPoint, so this button is seldom used.