Items in your iPoint database can be imported in a number of ways.
- Manually enter your items directly into the Items module
- Exporting your item list into a .csv file and sending it to iPoint Support to import
- Importing items using the Portal Integration
- Pulling your items directly from QuickBooks.
The Items here in QuickBooks Settings are where you define how iPoint items interact with their counterparts in QuickBooks.
Push all Items as Non-Inventory: Checking this box will send all items to QuickBooks as non-inventory items. Using this method will allow you to track inventory quantities in iPoint, but does not track the asset value of your inventory on your financial balance sheet. All items in QuickBooks will appear as non-inventory regardless of how they are set in iPoint. Keeping this check box clear will push your items’ inventory type to QuickBooks based on the item’s individual settings. Note that this checkbox has financial reporting implications. We recommend you discuss these options with your CPA, accounting adviser, or tax professional.
Push all Items as Labor: This option works similarly to the non-inventory option above. No matter what inventory classification in iPoint, the items will sync to QuickBooks as a Service item. In iPoint, we call service items Labor.
Note: You can only choose one of these options. Choosing Push as Non-inventory, for example, hides the Push as Labor option.
Push iPoint Manufacturer part Number as QB Item Name: iPoint utilizes two part numbers for every item; a) the Item Name is printed on customer-facing documents, b) The Manufacturer Part Number is presented on Purchase Orders and vendor facing documents. In many cases, these two numbers are the same. But many companies choose to create user-friendly part numbers for their customers while relying on the manufacturer’s specific part number for purchasing. This checkbox allows you to determine which part number you will push to QuickBooks. Left clear, QuickBooks will receive the Part Number. If checked, QuickBooks will receive the Manufacturer’s Part Number.
Do Not auto close items sync window when opened from syncing an invoice: When an invoice is synced with QuickBooks, we do a check to make sure that all items on the invoice have previously been synchronized to QB. If an item has not been synced, a new window will open where you can sync the missing items prior to pushing the invoice. Once that sync is completed, the pop-over window closes. This option keeps the pop-over window open until you manually close it. – New in 10.0413
Get Items from QuickBooks
When first setting up iPoint, one of the options is to populate the Items database with the items that already exist in QuickBooks. And sometimes, you may have added new items into QuickBooks and want to pull them into iPoint. This is the button that makes the magic happen.
- Make sure that your items list in QuickBooks is accurate. Old items you do not want to import should be marked as inactive in QB.
- With QB still open, open iPoint and click the blue Get Items from QuickBooks button.
- If you have previously imported items from QB, you will get a pop-up window asking if you want to update your Items list. You can choose Yes, to reimport your items, or No, to review the previous import from QB.
- If you have not yet imported your items list, you’ll be prompted to continue the sync (by pressing OK) or abort the sync (by pressing Cancel).
- The Item sync process might take a while, depending on how many items you are importing.
- Note: FileMaker may display a “Server Not Responding” notification. Do not panic. Things are happening behind the scenes and you will be directed to the list when the process is complete.
The Get Discount Items Only from QB button is typically only used by people setting up RFP-AR accounting. – New in 10.0608
The RFP Payment item must be set up in QuickBooks and imported into iPoint.
Syncing using the standard button can take a while because we check every single item in QB. This button will only import discount items, which will make the process faster.
Once the import sync has completed, you will be taken to a QuickBooks Inventory Items Sync page. This is a temporary holding area where you will select the items you want to pull into your permanent iPoint database.
Go through the list of items and choose those you want to import by placing a checkmark in the Select column. If an item is already imported into iPoint, you will see the corresponding iPoint Item Name along with a green checkmark indicating that the synchronization between QB and iPoint is complete.
Should the item on your import list already exist in iPoint, you can manually link the two by choosing the appropriate iPoint item in the corresponding iPoint Item Name drop-down list.
You can search for a specific item using the wildcard search box at the top of the screen. Alternately, you can perform a quick filter of the list by clicking one of the three buttons:
- Limit to not Synced – this will change the list to only display items that have not yet been synced to QuickBooks. This is useful for quickly finding those items that have not yet been synced among a large list of items that have previously been synced.
- Show All – if you have filtered your list using either the search box or limited, this will restore the entire list to full display.
- Omit Archived – just like it sounds, this button will hide items that have been marked as archived in iPoint.
The Match QB Items to iPoint button is an automated feature to match imported items from QuickBooks to existing iPoint items. This button is typically used when doing new sync from QuickBooks after there are already items in iPoint. By clicking Proceed iPoint will loop through every record in the iPoint Items module and check to see if there is an exact match in this QuickBooks Inventory Items Sync list. If there is a match, we will link the iPoint record to the QuickBooks record. – New in 10.0208
- Note: an exact match means the same spelling, punctuation, and spacing. XBR49×900F does not match XBR-49-X900F.
Finally, at the bottom of the QuickBooks Inventory Items Sync page you have four options on how to deal with your data:
- Select All Items – surprise, this will place a checkmark in the Select box on every item displayed.
- De-Select All Items – and this button will remove the checkmark in every Select box on all items displayed.
- Import Selected Items from QuickBooks – clicking this button will take all of the items that have been selected and enter them into the permanent iPoint Items database.
- Update Selected Items from QuickBooks – will update pricing, descriptions, and other item details from the QuickBooks list for all items that have been selected. Note that this is typically done if changes have been made in QB rather than in iPoint. We strongly recommend that all items be adjusted in iPoint, so this button is seldom used.