The Assignments Module is used to view, edit and filter assignments in iPoint. This module is permission-based in Settings >Permission Sets. You can view your assignments, along with any assignments assigned to other co-workers. The Assignments Module can be accessed from the Dashboard > Assignments.
There are four tools in the header of the assignment list.
- New Assignment opens a window where you can create a new assignment. Pretty snazzy, huh?
- Select All will place a checkmark in the box in front of all displayed assignments. Scroll to the bottom of this page for details on Assignment Options.
- When all of the assignments are checked, the Select All buttons changes to De-Select All.
- The Sort button gives you the opportunity to display the list of assignments. Click here to get more details about the sort function.
- Search Assignments Here is the wildcard search. Type in a word or phrase to quickly find specific assignments.
When looking at the list of assignments, there are a number of visual queues.
- Active assignments are displayed in black text.
- Unread assignments will show a red flag.
- Completed assignments will be displayed in gray text.
- At the far right of each assignment, next to the date, recurring assignments will display blue text stating what recurring cycle is used (i.e. Weekly, Monthly).
- Archived assignments will display a red ARCHIVED.
Assignments can be viewed in several different ways. The dark blue box will indicate how many Assignments are in that particular group.
- All – Displays all assignments, regardless of status, for all users you have permission to view, based on the Assignee(s) you have selected in the “Assignee” drop down. (see below).
- Unread – Displays only unread assignments
- Open – Displays only open assignments
- Complete – Displays only assignments that have been completed
- Due Today – Displays only assignments that are due on the current date Assignments will be displayed regardless of status.
- Past Due – Displays only Assignments that are past their due date
- Following – Display all Assignments you are listed as a follower to
- Unassigned – Displays all Assignments that are not assigned to a specific user
- Archived – Displays Assignments that have been archived
These filters are all based on your selection in the fields below. This includes Assignee, Category, and Tags
Depending on your permission level in Settings > Permission Sets you will be able to select one or more user from the list and view the group of Assignments for those users. To the right of each user, you will see a dark blue box showing the number of Open Assignments assigned to that user. When a user(s) is selected, the users’ name is highlighted in blue and the user(s) name will also be added to the dark blue title bar.
Categories can be used to classify the type of Assignment. Categories are customizable and editable in this window. To Add a new Category, simply click the “New Category” text in the Category window. The number of Open Assignments in each Category will be shown in the blue box to the right of each Category name. Categories can be edited by clicking on the pencil and paper icon on the left side of each Category.
Note: Modifying categories is done here in the assignments module, not in the Settings module.
Click the Category list on the left side of the screen to display the list of categories.
- Click New Category and start typing to add a new category to the assignments module.
- Click the icon to Edit an existing Category.
Tags can be utilized to further track topics within assignments and are user specific, or can be shared with other users. Open the list of Tags by clicking the arrow to the left of “TAGS”. Create a new tag by selecting the “New Tag” text in the Tags window. The number of assignments with designated with that tag will be displayed in the dark blue box to the right of each tag.
To edit, delete or change the sharing preferences of a Tag, click on the pencil and paper icon to the left of the Tag name.
You will note a checkbox in front of each assignment. Placing a check in this box will display a number of options across the top of the screen. You can perform these options on one or more assignment simultaneously by checking multiple boxes.
- Re-Open changes the status of the assignment from Complete to In Progress.
- Reassign opens a window so you can pick a new iPoint user name to change who is responsible for the assignment. This will also move the assignment to the dashboard of the new user.
- Recategorize opens a window where you can change the Category by choosing a new one in the dropdown menu.
- Archive hides the assignments from the active view. You can still see archived assignments by clicking the Archived selection in the left menu.
- When you select Archived assignments, you’ll notice two new buttons are available:
- Restore will un-archive or make the assignment active.
- Delete permanently removes the assignment. This is not recommended as we prefer to keep historical documentation available.
Clicking the Sort button opens a pop-over window where you can select the type of sort you want to perform.
- Assignment – this is the text in the body of the assignment. In the list, this is the bold text.
- Priority – the priority as set on each assignment
- Date Due – the date and time the assignment needs to be completed by
- Date Completed – the date completed is generated by the system when a user marks the assignment as Complete.
- Completed – this will sort the list of finished tasks
- Tags – assignments can be given a tag. This sort will organize assignments based on the first tag given.
- Assigned – the person who is supposed to complete the assignment. Choosing this option sorts by the assignee’s last name.
- Date Created – the system generated time stamp applied to all new assignments
- Category – sorts the list of assignments based on the category.
- Status – Each assignment will be marked as “Not Started,” “In Progress,” “On Hold,” or “Complete”
To the right of the Sort dropdown is an arrow. Click on the arrow to toggle between ascending or descending sort order.
Once your selections are complete, click the Sort button to reorganize the list of displayed assignments. Remember, the displayed assignments are modified by selecting different categories, tags, or other characteristics in the left-hand menu.